Back when I was in university and my brother was in his first job, we used to sell mixtapes. My brother would do the marketing and sales and I would do the mixtape-making. We sold the mixtapes for two thousand and five hundred rupiahs each, which sounds like a lot but actually only about 25 cents in US/Canadian dollars. I think all the money went to my brother. I only liked making mixtapes. I didn't care about the money.
As for the kind of music I used to put on the mixtapes, it's the kind of music that I would now call crap. It's amazing how much my taste in music has evolved since. I've become as big a music snob as Troy is. And since I don't really have much time to write a wordy entry today, I've made a virtual mixtape for you to listen to. Aren't I nice? ;) It's just a random selection of songs that I enjoyed recently and not necessarily new songs.
And here's the list of the songs:
- The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens
- Neptune City by Nicole Atkins
- Castaway by Camphor
- Bur Oak by Bowerbirds
- Tiger Mountain Peasant Song (Fleet Foxes cover) by First Aid Kit
- Trouble in the Fields by Sarah Harmer
- For Emma by Bon Iver
- I Will Follow You Into The Dark (Death Cab For Cutie Cover) by Amy Millan
- True Colors (Cyndi Lauper cover) by Ane Brun
- My Dear Acquaintance (A Happy New Year) by Regina Spektor