My mother always enjoyed spending time with me, but I think, if she was alive, she would enjoy it even more now because we’d have more shared interests than we ever had before she passed away:
- Gardening. My mother was an avid gardener. No plants could die under her supervision. I could never be as good at gardening as she was, but I try.
- Sewing. One of my favourite memories is of me falling asleep on her bed while she was sitting and sewing beside me. She sewed everything by hand!
- Mid-century modern furniture. I grew up in a house full of mid-century modern furniture. I believe my mother picked our pieces of furniture. She got great taste.
- Doctor Who. My mother watched the show when she was living in England in the 60s. She’d make Doctor Who references every now and then that I wished I’d understood, but I never watched any Doctor Who until I got to Canada.
- Do-it-yourself projects. My mother always said that if you want anything done right, you do it yourself. It was her mantra and it’s become mine, too.
- The colour green. But I don’t think she’d approve of the shades of green I picked for our living room walls. Too bright for her taste.
Oh, we’d have so much to talk about.
I miss her.