I did 5 Good Things Friday for the first and last time on December 1, 2006 but I think I’m going to start doing it more often because it’s actually a good blog fodder. Not to mention that it helps me count my blessings. So here goes:
- There’s a garden festival going on in town. The timing couldn’t be more perfect as I’m currently obsessing over gardening. I’ve bought more gardening books in two weeks than I care to admit. Let’s see if I’ll be able to resist the temptation to buy Ed Lawrence’s book. Ed Lawrence has his own gardening show on the CBC called Gardening with Ed Lawrence. Listening to him talking about pests on the radio is strangely soothing. He will be at the garden festival this weekend.
- I’ve posted this link on Facebook and Twitter but I thought I’d share it here as well: how to make seed starter pots out of newspaper. This site seems to be down more than it’s up (thanks to GeoCities) so if it’s down, try again later. It’s worth it! I’ve made about a couple of dozens of them already out of our free local weekly newspapers. I’ve found that the Stratford Gazette makes better planters than the Stratford Beacon Herald. The Beacon Herald planters have an awkward size.
- Our couch might not be the comfiest couch in the world but every time I lay down on it in the evening wrapped in a blanket with the TV on and with Troy sitting in the same room with me, I can’t help but falling asleep. It’s not the couch that makes me fall asleep. It’s the ambiance. It kind of reminds me of falling asleep on my mother’s bed in the afternoon while she was sewing or marking tests next to me. Definitely a good feeling.
- I’ve been making more money by doing nothing than I did working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with my last employer back in Indonesia, and it was supposed to be a well-paying job compared to many others. I guess it’s good in a sad kind of way. I surely hope that the salary standards in Indonesia have improved since.
- I come from a family who loves fish but now I belong to a family that isn’t particularly so into fish. Sometimes I feel kind of deprived, which is the reason I could go on eating the same seafood dish with rice for days. This week, I’m feasting on anchovies. Troy, of course, doesn’t like the smell. Well, too bad for him! He doesn’t know what he’s missing. Anchovies are good, especially with hot chili sauce and warm white rice. Yum!
So, what are your five good things? Care to share?